Two years ago I was in a wheelchair and told I would be paralyzed for life. Today I can jog on a treadmill. How did this happen?
Well, I can't tell you how it happened exactly. My recovery truly was a miracle. But what I can tell you is how important it was for me to stay focused and inspired throughout my recovery.
People tell me my story has inspired them. Let me tell you how to find this inspiration within your own lives.
(1) Believe anything is possible. To overcome obstacles, you have to see your way through to the other side. You have to visualize yourself overcoming them. Draw inspiration from that vision.
(2) Stay focused. Obstacles are not a one-time event in life. When you try to get out of a difficult situation, no doubt you'll encounter one obstacle after another along the way. Expect it, and discipline yourself to stay focused. Never lose sight of your goals.
(3) Resist the urge to sleep five minutes longer. Who hasn't hit the snooze button several times in a row, only to realize those extra few minutes of sleep don't really help? Resist the urge to sleep longer than you need. Life is short enough. Think about what you can do to improve your life if you add a few minutes to each day. Get out of bed, face your obstacles and move closer to your goals with every waking moment.
(4) Don't stop just because someone tells you to stop. I can't tell you how many times people told me not to get out of my wheelchair, not to take so many steps, not to balance on one foot, not to try running without a leg brace. But I knew I had to do those things or I'd be in that wheelchair the rest of my life. Your life might be filled with obstacles and your progress toward your goals might be slow. Don't worry about that. Just realize that by moving ahead when others urge caution, you'll reach your goals faster than you would have otherwise.
(5) If you're going to worry about something, worry about improving. People love to worry. Sometimes worrying seems like our favorite pastime. The next time you worry about something, ask yourself what all that worrying is really accomplishing. Then ask yourself how many positive things you could accomplish in the amount of time you spend worrying. When you focus on positive ways to overcome your difficulties, you move closer to a life free from worry. If you're going to worry about anything, worry about doing more of that!
(6) Believe you can control your situation. Though problems seem to arise despite our attempts to keep them away, we still control our own lives. You might not believe that. If you don't, it's because you've trapped yourself in your situation and can't see your way out. You always have the ability to move yourself forward. You just need to believe in your ability and take positive steps to control your situation. It's not a lack of control that keeps you from moving forward. It's your inability to see that power within you.
(7) Know that once you give up mentally, you're beat. If you think you can accomplish something, you will. If you think you won't accomplish something, you won't. When I was wheelchair-bound, I suffered a lot of pain and frustration, a lot of wishing that things had been different. But not once did I believe I wouldn't walk again. Not once! I truly believe God helped me get out of that wheelchair precisely because I never doubted I would walk again. Don't lose your hope, not even for a minute. You have nothing better to do in this life than to try to overcome your obstacles and reach your goals.
(8) Remember you have one life. Regardless of your beliefs about afterlife and other types of spiritual existence, you're here right now, in this life, and you only have one shot at it. Why not make the most of it? Don't waste this life dwelling on problems and hurdles and what-ifs and what-could-have-beens. Make the most of this life and the situation you're in. Spend your time making improvements wherever you can. What could be better than that?
Whenever I speak to an audience or give a radio interview, people tell me they thought their lives were tough until they heard about my situation. That's not the point. It doesn't matter if you think my situation is worse than yours, or vice versa. What matters is that I believed I would walk again, and now I can walk. Whatever difficulties you have, believe that you can get through them and you will.
Find inspiration, hold onto it and stay inspired. What could be more important than that?
About The Author
Jay Monteer worked in law enforcement until an accident in September 2001 put him on disability. Now he visits hospital patients and speaks to different groups about the miracle of his recovery. To read more about Jay's story, visit www.jwrites.com/t11.html" target="_new">www.jwrites.com/t11.html.
Millionaire status was once reserved only for the rich and famous but these days you might need to have at least a million dollars in the bank to retire comfortably Retirement is more expensive than ever and the average American age 65 and up spends around 46 000 per
We re waist deep into the telltale summer travel season and Central Florida s theme parks aren t faring as well as you probably think Disney NYSE DIS has been drumming up headlines over the sluggish attendance at Disneyland in California but things aren t going much better on
President Trump recently confirmed the destruction of an Iranian drone in the Strait of Hormuz by the U S Navy This drove oil prices by 2 The U S Navy claims that it acted in self defense as the aircraft came alarmingly close to the vessel and ignored multiple warnings to stand
Ten years ago Bank of America NYSE BAC was one of the more infamous brands on Wall Street Yet a decade on from the financial crisis the company has become one of the best managed banks in the country As evidence the bank just posted a stronger than expected quarter even in
Think your tuition bill is set in stone Don t be so sure Image source Getty Images When you fill out the Federal Application for Federal Student Aid FAFSA your school typically sends you a financial aid award letter This details the financial aid you can get
If you ve been proactively planning for retirement you re no doubt aware that your golden years aren t going to fund themselves Rather you ll need a healthy amount of savings to cover the bills later in life even if you re expecting a pretty sizable series of payments from
When a business is circling the drain the way Blue Apron NYSE APRN is it will grasp at any lifeline to help make itself look relevant or healthier The meal kit company s recent 1 for 15 reverse stock split was just such an attempt and by artificially boosting its share
Here are some things to do soon after becoming a new parent Image source Getty Images Having a baby is a special time but it also dramatically increases your level of financial responsibility There are some financial moves you can make right away to get started on the
Investors haven t shown Coca Cola NYSE KO stock much love during the latest market rally The beverage giant s gains through the first half of 2019 trailed the S amp P 500 by 10 percentage points and its shares are also underperforming PepsiCo NASDAQ PEP by about the
Earlier this month Tesla NASDAQ TSLA reported that it delivered a record 95 200 vehicles during the second quarter bouncing back from a dreadful start to the year Deliveries totaled just 63 000 in the first quarter It also said that its order backlog increased last
If you re anxious about America s purported slow response to climate change then you might want to take a close look at NextEra Energy s NYSE NEE June investor presentation Aside from updated numbers not much stands out in the 235 slide presentation which includes the
The size of the global food industry boggles the mind Since there s no way to live without food demand will always exist Traditionally that s made investing in food stocks a safe endeavor serving up delicious returns to patient investors Consider that American households spend
Though we investors may not like to admit it stock investing isn t so different from sports gambling Of course over the long term betting on stocks has much better odds as the overall market tends to go up over time But many elements of the activities are the same In each case
It s going to be an action packed second half for a handful of big pharmaceutical companies and perhaps the most interesting six month stretch in Novartis NYSE NVS history Recently launched therapies from the Swiss pharma giant and Pfizer NYSE PFE will be closely
The world is slowly pivoting toward a carbon free energy supply system by replacing fossil fuels with renewables While we ve come a long way in recent years we re just scratching the surface According to one estimate the U S alone needs to spend 4 7 trillion to eliminate fossil